Chandan Institute of Pulmonary Medicine deals with the causes, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases affecting the Lungs. It’s also deals the sleep disorder related problems like Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA), Central Sleep Apnea (CSA), and Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome (OHS). Pulmonary medicine specialist having important role in managing critically ill & ventilator dependent patient with multiple co morbid condition in ICUs.
Recent advancement in Interventional Pulmonology emerges as boon in field of chest diseases which brings this branch on heights. This department is well equipped with Vediobronchoscope, thoracoscope, Rigid Bronchoscope for various diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
Pulmonology at Chandan Hospital specialty that deals with following diseases:-
- COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
- Pulmonary & Extrapulmonary TB( including MDR,XDR tuberculosis)
- Eosinophilic Lung Diseases
- ILD(Interstitial Lung Disease)
- Occupational Lung Diseases(Silicosis,Coal Worker,Pneumoconiosis)
- Pleural Effusion caused (TB, Cancer)
- Diagnosis of Lung Cancer
- Pulmonary Embolism & Pulmonary Hypertension
- Sleep related Diseases (UARS, OSA, CSA, OHS, Narcolepsy etc.)
Interventional procedure like:
- Diagnostic and Therapeutic Pleurocentasis
- Intercostals drain placement (ICD)
- Pleurx catheter Placement
- Adult and Pediatrics Bronchoscopy
- Rigid Bronchoscopy (in management of larger airway tumour, tracheobronchial stent placement, Foreign body removal)
Available Diagnostic Tools in Pulmonary Medicine:
- Spirometry Test – to diagnose airflow obstruction as measured by breathing into a dedicated machine. Required to diagnose Diseases.
- PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) include Spirometry with bronchodilator reversibility, Lungs volume and diffusion capacity (which measure lung oxygen absorptive capacity)
Indications to use this diagnostic tool is-
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease(COPD)
- Restrictive lung disease
- Preoperative evaluation of Lung Capacity
Polysomnogram- Polysomnography records several body functions during sleep, including brain activity, eye movement, oxygen and carbon dioxide blood levels , heart rate and rhythm, breathing rate and rhythm, the flow of air through the mouth and nose, snoring, body muscle movements, and chest and belly movement.
The most common sleep studies are:
- Home Based Sleep Test
- Lab Based Level 1 Sleep Study Test (PSG)
Sleep studies can help diagnose or rule out:
- Sleep related breathing disorders, such as Sleep Apnea, central sleep Apnea.
- Sleep related movement disorders, such as periodic limb movement disorder, which is repeated muscle twitching of the feet, legs, or arms during sleep. Sleep disorders that cause extreme daytime tiredness, such as narcolepsy or circadian rhythm sleep disorders.
- Problems sleeping during the day because of working at night or rotating shift work. This sleep problem is called shift work sleep disorder.
- Sleep studies can also determine problems with stages of sleep. The two primary categories of sleep are non-rapid eye movement (NREM) and rapid eye movement sleeps (REM). Normally, four to five series of NREM and REM make up a night’s sleep. A change in this cycle may make it hard to sleep soundly.
Pulmonology at Chandan Hospital is also equipped with all interventional procedures like:-
- Guided BronchoalveolarLevage(BAL)
- Guided Transbronchial Biopsy(TBLB)
- Guided Endobronchial Biopsy(EBB)
- Guided Transbronchial Needle Aspiration(TBNA)
- Guided Transbronchial Brushing for Cytology
(B) Medical Thoracoscopy-
- Facilitate pleural biopsy for undiagnosed pleural effusion.
- Management of complicated (Loculated) effusion & Empyma.
(C) Rigid Bronchoscopy-
- Facilitate to biopsy coring of larger airway tumours.
- Tracheobronchial stent placement
- Foreign body removal in pediatric & adult.